On New Year’s Eve I committed to be a better person in 2012, but now it’s time to make my Gardening New Year’s Resolutions. That’s much more fun! Please send us your New Year’s Resolutions in the comments section below and we will reward our favorites with Womanswork Rose Leather Gauntlet gloves. All comments must be received by Jan. 31st.
Here are my 5 Gardening New Year’s Resolutions—
1. Harvest at least one lemon from the lemon tree growing in my greenhouse. (Below, lemon blossom in my greenhouse.)
2. Grow all of my container annuals for next summer from seed, including black-eyed Susan vine (below, at the New York Botanical Garden).
3. Memorize the major tree species in our region.
4. Begin replacing the pachysandra in our front yard with liriope, one of my favorite evergreen groundcovers (shown below).
5. Propagate lots of Streptocarpella saxorum plants in my greenhouse to give as gifts. The parent came from Ruth Clausen and it made a lovely present! (Below, streptocarpella rooting in water.)
Dorian Winslow is the president of Womanswork, and is passionate about making the best products on the market for women who garden and work outdoors.
Horticulture publishes the free weekly e-newsletter, "Smart Gardening Tips," and "The Curious Gardener," a free monthly e-newsletter with more tips and articles by Dorian. Subscribe to our e-newsletters and get a free gift.
Organize your year with Horticulture's 2012 Wall Calendar, which includes gorgeous garden photographs and monthly gardening tips.
Reference the date at a glance with Horticulture's 2012 Desk Calendar.
Browse all books and gardening tools and equipment at GardenersHub.com.