It seems like I have to replace my perennials every 3 or 4 years. What are some long-lived perennials?
Answer: Perennials are wonderful additions to any garden and for many they become an anticipated burst of beauty year after year. The advantage of perennials is that unlike annuals, they do not have to be replanted each new growing season. Some varieties, with proper maintenance and growing conditions, can last decades, while others only offer their charm for just a few years. It can be frustrating when the lifespan of these plants isn’t as long as we had hoped for.
Here are five eye-catching, long-lived perennials:
• Peony (Paeonia spp.): Peonies come in a variety of stunning colors, from pure white to ruby red, and often fill the air with an enticing aroma. They thrive in full sun and fertile, well-drained soil. USDA Zones 2–8.
• Hosta (Hosta cvs., such as 'Pure Heart'.): Hostas are shade-loving perennials grown for their striking, lush foliage. But they also bloom in charming hues white, lavender and blue. These lovely perennials are most successful with regular watering and well-drained soil rich with organic matter. USDA Zones 3–9.
• Daylily (Hemerocallis spp.): Daylilies offer gardens wonderful displays of vibrant, exquisite flowers in a wide range of radiant colors—typically fiery reds, purples, oranges and yellows. They prosper in full sun with slightly acidic, well-drained soil high in organic matter. USDA Zones 3–10.
• Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia fulgida ‘Goldsturm’, 'Herbstonne' and others): Black-eyed Susan blooms from midsummer to fall with splendid yellow-orange flowers with dark, dazzling centers. They often grow 2 to 3 feet in height with a similar spread and are most successful in full to part sun and well-drained soil. USDA Zones 3–9.
• False Indigo (Baptisia australis): False indigos bloom with beautiful clusters of deep purplish-blue flowers in late spring to early summer. They are most successful in full sun to part shade with average to dry well-drained soil. USDA Zones 3–9.
With proper selection, maintenance and climate, perennials can offer your garden spectacular display for many years to come.
Become an expert perennial gardener with tips in the Essential Tips for Growing Perennials Value Pack.
Learn how to keep your perennial bed looking their best season after season with The Perennial Care Manual.
Choose the right perennials perfect for your garden with Bloom’s Best Perennials and Grasses.
Keep protected from the sun in style with this lovely Paisley Floppy Sun Hat.