Springtime is an ideal time to start plants from seeds. That’s why Nest in Style on Horticulture Radio is focusing on seed starting this episode. You’ll learn how seed companies are protecting old heirloom plants for future generations, while others are addressing current health concerns. You’ll find a number of products and tools to make seed starting more enjoyable in the garden – including cost-saving tips for do-it-yourselfers. (DIYers)
Congratulations to Janet Ferguson for winning our Greenbo Railing Planter giveaway! Tune in next month when we talk with Proven Winners’ Danielle Ernst and see what plants are hot for 2011, along with lovely containers designed by Christina Salwitz of Seattle area and Lynn Felici-Gallant of New Hampshire. Enter to be one of several winners of those container plants too!
Seed Starting Resources
- Seed Savers Exchange
- Botanical Interest Seeds
- Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
- Comstock, Ferre & Co.
- Territorial Seeds
Sow Seeds in Garden Directly
- Seasonal Wisdom’s Five Cool-Season Veggies to Sow Direct in Garden
- aHa! Modern Living's 10 Tips for Growing Easy Edibles from Seed
Soilless Mixes and Peat-Alternatives for Starting Seeds Indoors
Containers – For Sale and for DIYers
- Cow Pots
- Toilet Roll Seed Starter Containers (Instructions from You Grow Girl!)
- Recycled Newspaper Pots (Instructions from Willi Galloway on eHow)
- Soil Blocks
- Egg cartons, yogurt containers – your local grocery store or Co-Op
Keep Tomatoes, Peppers & Eggplants Warm While Germinating
Don’t Forget About Light
- Park’s Improved Garden Condo, multi-tiered system
- DIY Instructions for DigginFood's Ikea Shelf Seed Starting Station
Listeners want to know: what seed starting products or tips have helped to make indoor seed starting easier for you?
Meanwhile, Go Grow Something. See you next month!