Follow these easy organic weed-control methods to keep weeds from overtaking your garden.
- weed on a regular basis
- remove the entire weed, including all roots
- weed when the soil is moist—not dry, not soggy. It is easier to lift the roots.
- weed while the weeds are young
- do not disturb the soil because that brings weed seeds to the surface. Adopt a “no-till” system: only dig where you will plant something; otherwise do not move the soil.
- hand weeding is most effective because it causes least disturbance to other plants and you can be sure to get the whole plant
- lay mulch to suppress weed growth. remove weeds first or else they too get the other benefits of mulch: regular soil temperature and less water loss from soil
- grow a thick groundcover that will suppress weeds
- choose plants with spreading foliage that will cast shade over the surrounding soil, discouraging weeds
Read about the best tools for weeding