Southeast garden tasks for the month of May:
- Plant perennials and annuals, including gladiolus, calla lilies, cannas, impatiens, coleus, marigolds, begonias, clematis, verbena, etc. Plant crape myrtles when they are blooming.
- Plant cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, squash, peas, beans, eggplant, corn, okra, parsley, watermelon, and cantaloupe.
- Water during dry spells, paying close attention to new plants.
- Finish pruning azaleas and camellias, because they will form new buds in June and you don’t want to remove those.
- Remove seedpods from spent flower bulbs and irises.
- Lay fresh mulch over beds to conserve water and prevent weeds.
- Repot houseplants, dividing overgrown plants such as ferns.
Read more Southeast articles