Today I made a Star Wars Shrinky Dink plant marker; reason enough to declare this Star Wars Garden Craft Week! It was a pain in the ass despite using the Force, and that’s why I only made one. But I have to admit it’s super cool looking and I bet it will hold up outdoors for a long, long time. Here’s how I did it:
- I bought some Shrinky Dink plastic online. I thought I bought the one made for my laser printer but nooooooo. I bought the wrong one.
- Download the classic Star Wars fonts here; Star Jedi is the one you want
- Print out whatever words or plant names you want. I used size 72 to get this tiny size. After they printed I had to cut out the words and tape them together the way I wanted them. I used a Sharpie to connect the letters the way they are connected in the Star Wars logo.
- I used the Sharpie to trace the letters on the plastic; this step would have been eliminated if I had done #1 correctly. Or maybe not since I rearranged the words. Maybe my mistake is also my stroke of genius—I wouldn’t be surprised.
- At this point I should have colored it, but I thought it looked cool clear, until I tried photographing it to show you how cool it looks and you can’t see it.
- I started cutting with an old, dull X-ACTO knife on a kitchen cutting board during Oprah. It pretty much took the whole hour to cut it out . I should have used my light saber.
7. I stuck it in the toaster oven at 250° for about 3 minutes. I freaked out at how shriveled they got but, true to the instructions, they did flatten out when they were done. I had forgotten that part since the last time I did Shrinky Dinks in ’83.
And that was it! I really love it! I might make more while Oprah is on tomorrow. What do you think?
Any ideas for Star Wars Garden Craft Week? Join me in the forum
, where you can tell me that making plant markers out of Shrinky Dinks is the dumbest thing you’ve ever heard of, I can’t wait
You can also use to Force to guess what other 2 Star Wars garden crafts I’m going to make…